Tuesday, July 3, 2012

The Wedding Story Part I

The Fabric Has Arrived
Five months ago, our last daughter became engaged to her sweetheart of 2 ½ years.  Because we’ve done this once before, I already knew what I was in for . . .  She had been looking at wedding dress pictures from the time she was old enough to talk and look at books.  Our DVD’s of  The Wedding Planner, Father of the Bride #1 and Father of the Bride #2 were worn out long ago as she has dreamed of this day forever!

She had already informed me that she wanted “a big poufy dress, with lots and lots of tulle in the skirt and a silk Dupioni bodice with lots of beads”.  Being 4’ 10” and 90 pounds I wondered how she would pull that off, but also knew there would be no talking her out of it.  Having sewn professionally from the time I was in the 7th grade, when I made my first wedding dress, I’ve made more wedding dresses than I can count including one with genuine fresh water pearls.  I was not too concerned with the dress she had been dreaming of for the past 10 years.  Then thanks to Pinterest and Vera Wang, everything changed . . . the “big, poufy dress” turned into my worst nightmare.

Let the fun begin!

She brought me a blurry photo of a dress that was part of the Vera Wang 2012 Spring Wedding Couture Collection – it was a beautiful pale pink, with what appeared to be millions of pink mesh petals on a long flowing train with a Dupioni silk drape and bodice.  I looked at her and said, “You hate me don’t you?  If you really loved me, you would NOT ask me to make THIS dress!”  She was insistent and unbending as she begged me to “please make the dress because I love her so much.”  I held off for a month and a half, hoping and praying that I could talk her out of it and go back to the big, poufy dress.  It became obvious that she would not be changing her mind, and I decided I better get to work. 



Great Fabric Store
  
The days of having wonderful fabric stores brimming with many choices of beautiful fabric are long gone here in the Salt Lake Valley and surrounding areas.  I so miss The Yardstick with Mr. Frankle and Lace & Company with Alison.  Thank goodness for the internet!  I soon discovered my new favorite fabric store, NY Fashion Center, and Yolanda Dunderdale is my new favorite sales person.  She was so helpful, knowledgeable and kind!  Someday, I want to go to New York and visit this store in person and meet Yolanda as well!

One of MANY sleepless nights

The attached photos are the day that I received the 27 pound package of fabric, the contents of which would become my constant companion for the next two months.  With my children grown, and the poor economy, I was working full time during the engagement and wedding.  During the wedding I had three full time jobs, my day job here at Symbols of Zion, my night job of sewing until 2:00 AM, 3:00 AM, 4:00 AM, 5:00 AM and the night before the wedding until 6:00 AM, and my other jobs as wife, mother, Grandma Les, daughter, neighbor, friend and Visiting Teaching Coordinator.

The next few blog posts will chronicle the last five months of my life which were a blur until now.  The wedding was a month ago, and I’m just now feeling like I will survive.

So if you’re looking for the ultimate fabric store, check out NY Fashion Center and be sure to ask for Yolanda Dunderdale!  www.nyfashioncenterfabrics.com
 
Until next time,
Les 

No comments:

Post a Comment